This post may contain affiliate links so we may receive compensation if you sign up for or purchase products linked to below. You can read our disclosure for more information.
A personal finance blog is a website focused on financial topics such as investment tips, best credit cards, retirement planning, and so on.
The benefits of blogging are endless, however, without the right technical know-how, making a successful living out of blogging might look impossible.
Don’t let that stop you, creating your own blog is easy these days. And you don’t need an expensive course to get started.
This short article is aimed at providing some information on how to start a personal finance blog successfully.
Personal Finance Blogs
Personal finance blogging is a great choice however it is highly competitive. The most important factor when starting a personal finance blog is your passion. All successful blogs are a result of a lot of hard work.
If you are not passionate about finance then you shouldn’t start a personal finance blog because you won’t put your all into it and your content will suck. You have to create great content or unique content to be a success in the personal finance niche.
Now let’s get started with this process.
Domain Registrars With Web Hosting
You will need to find a domain name registrar. Preferably, a domain name registrar that has web hosting services as well to keep everything under one umbrella.
Sadly, Blackandise has been using GoDaddy and Bluehost and it was annoying at first. We didn’t like the confusing web hosting dashboard at GoDaddy, so we transferred our web hosting. In the future, we will be moving everything to Bluehost (by the time you read this, everything will be under one company). ❤️
The domain name will be the identity of your personal finance blog. This process will probably take you a few hours. Take your time here and think of a good domain name for your blog! Your domain name should be something that you love as it will be the first thing your audience will see. It will be your blog’s identity, and future brandable name, so you should be creative and find something that is unique and amazing.
Hint: Prioritize the “.com” domains and don’t be afraid to combine words to make your own brand. That’s how we got domains such as Pinterest, Facebook, Teachable, etc. Below you can search for an available domain name using Bluehost’s domain search tool.
Bluehost is a good company to get started with because of their reliable and affordable packages. Also, Bluehost will allow you to get a domain name and web hosting together for a discount. Great alternatives to Bluehost are HostGator and Namecheap.
Start Your Personal Finance Blog Now
If you decide to use Bluehost, Namecheap, or HostGator, you’ll get amazing customer support. They will help you set up your personal finance blog using WordPress within a few hours.
However, if you don’t want to wait on their customer support, our Learn How to Start a Blog article can help you have your blog up and running within an hour.
Easy Personal Finance Blog Tips
After you’ve created your blog, time to plan your next steps. Remember, creating a successful personal finance blog is difficult but definitely possible. We have compiled a few tips that will help make your blog stand out from other bloggers. These tips include the following:
- Setup Google Search Console, you can get data about your domain name and your blog ranking.
- Get a Google Tag Manager or Google Analytics plugin to install the Google Analytics script. Google Tag Manager allows YOU to install more useful scripts without requiring a web developer. The Google Analytics script allows you to see everything you need to know about your audience such as popular pages, the age range of your audience, referral sources, and so much more.
- Use WordPress SEO plugins such as Yoast SEO to help you keep your content SEO friendly.
- Install the browser plugin Grammarly to check your spelling and grammar.
- When sharing on social media, mix it up and tell short stories to connect better with others.
- Think of your blog post ideas and create new content regularly so your audience will be aware of when your personal blog will have new content.
- Always use high-quality pictures on your blog. We have a list of free stock images that content creators can use!
- Write your blog name in your content. Also, refer to your blog name on social media websites to slowly build authority.
- Always write for your audience and not for yourself. Check that ego!
- Plan your blog’s business model and set realistic goals.
- Be visible! Have fully completed Contact and About pages. (Why? Well, in the Summer of 2018: Many old and successful websites were penalized by Google for not having these pages completed.)
- Find a good SEO research tool to find low competition keywords before you start writing content.
Top Personal Finance Blogs for Inspiration
- Making Sense of Cents: Michelle is definitely a fave of ours! She created this award-winning lifestyle and personal finance blog that focuses on traveling, saving money, and making money.
- My Money Blog: A personal finance blog that focuses on four main topics – early retirement, money-saving tips, investment tips, and credit card rewards.
- The Finance Buff: A personal finance blogger and author teaching his audience about stock investments, retirement savings, and even saving money for college.
We want you to succeed. And if you’re wondering why do we want you to succeed. Well, we aren’t in the personal finance niche so helping other niche bloggers get started is never an issue. There are literally hundreds of thousands of niches that make money online.
Anyway, we love helping people and you may decide to help us out and share our articles with your friends! It’s a win-win situation. If you follow the information above, your personal finance blog will go from being a side hustle project to being a full-time business.
Good luck and leave a comment if you have any questions.