People are still interested in blogging. More people want their own unfiltered platform. This article will go through the process of starting a self-managed WordPress blog so you can blog about anything including beauty, weight loss, and even fishing. It doesn’t matter if you are blogging to make money or to help others, the process to start is the same for everyone.
Many of the extremely popular blog topics are saturated these days. This guide is perfect for anyone asking the following question:
How to Start a Lifestyle Blog?
How to Start a Beauty Blog?
How to Start a Personal Development Blog?
How to Start a Weight Loss Blog?
How to Start a Lifestyle Blog?
Your WordPress blog will need web hosting services and I like Bluehost web hosting. Bluehost is a great web host and I have had a great experience with them personally and while helping clients get online. Click here to start a lifestyle blog on WordPress, then you can follow the easy tutorial below.
Last year I decided to start a blog for myself. It was definitely the best decision I made as I love having my own platform. I’m not making five figures a month yet but I’m making a few extra hundreds to chip away at my student loans.
Before the blog, I was selling t-shirts and mugs via print of demand. The print on demand industry is fun but chasing trends suck so I decided to start blogging as another stream of income.
Bluehost has been good to us so far. I’ve been using Bluehost to build my wife’s beauty blog website and she hasn’t complained about the service. For small blogs, Bluehost is a popular choice. If you sign up using the link above, you will get a domain name for free when you sign up for the 36-month shared hosting plan. Hopefully, you still want to learn how to start a lifestyle blog… skip to STEP 1 if you aren’t interested in learning more about Bluehost.
Use Bluehost to Start a Lifestyle Blog
The company has been around for years and have great customer service, that enough is worth it alone these days. If you want the best deal, then purchasing a 36-month plan is the winner, as your monthly rate is much lower. If you are interested in eventually making money off your blog, using it as a portfolio, or turning your blog into a business, then having it on your own web host, such as Bluehost, will make the process seamless. You get a great value and simplicity for people new to blogging. Their plans are extremely cheap and you can get a free domain, that is why I believe starting with Bluehost is worth it.
The Self-Hosted WordPress
The first reason is that website growth will happen if you keep writing and engaging with others. And you want to be ready ahead of time for opportunities and moving from a limiting free blog to your own blog can be a nightmare for beginners. Many bloggers (including me) have wasted countless hours trying to move their blog or spent hundreds paying a web developer for a transfer.
The second reason is that once you have Bluehost and WordPress installed (which is very easy to do thanks to web hosting interface) you can run your own advertisements, affiliate links, etc. to make money. You have the choice to install stuff on day one or wait until you have a following. Making money on Blogger, Tumblr, or any other free blogging platform is difficult, mainly due to the lack of options or plugins that can help make traffic driving easier.
The third reason is that having your own self-hosted blog simply looks better, more professional. Big advertisers will always choose a blogger that has their own website over someone using Blogger or Medium.
You Will Love Using Bluehost
- You get that FREE domain name
- Bluehost offers great technical support (seriously this is rare these days)
- WordPress on Bluehost is FREE and has a simple one-click install option
- Compared to other web hosts, Bluehost is cheap, at only $3.95 per month
- Bluehost backend uses cPanel (creating more email accounts will be SIMPLE)
- You’ll have the option to use your own ads, whenever
- Bluehost servers are good so your website will load quickly
- Having your own self-hosted WordPress blog looks professional to readers and sponsors
- You can email Bluehost and get a response back within hours
These are only a few of the reasons why many bloggers use Bluehost for their web hosting needs. Hopefully, you are ready to start a lifestyle blog now!
If you have any issues or questions with the sign-up process, you can send me an email and I can answer any questions you may have as I actually have years of web hosting support experience.
Time to Create Your New Lifestyle Blog
1. Register Your New Domain Name
The first step to getting started is heading over to Bluehost to get your domain name and web hosting. You can then click here to purchase a domain and web host for your new WordPress blog, then continue to follow the easy steps below.
The very first thing you will need to do to get started is to think about what you want your domain name to be. This is quite important as you won’t have the option to rename the free one.
You can get your domain name directly through Bluehost.com and make the whole process very easy. Remember to sign up for at least 12-months of hosting to get the FREE domain name.
I came up with this blog title Blackandise by combining the words Black and Merchandise, as I was going to create a store with only black products but decided not to go with such a bad idea. At first, I was against it since it’s not a real word but many brands are just made up words. My only advice is to not date your domain name with the year (so please no newsite2017.com or mysite2018.com).
2. Select A Web Hosting Plan
To get the lowest price of $3.95 per month, you have to sign up for the 36-months plan, which is a great price. If you sign up for a 24-month plan, then the price is $4.95 per month. If you sign up for a 12-month plan, then the price is $5.95 per month. If you are unsure about starting your blog, then test it out with a 12-month plan as it is still affordable and worth the price. If you purchase a 12-month plan, your total price is only $66 a year, which is still a great price. Plus, you’ll still get the free domain name. Just remember that the best value is the 36-month plan.
I know you want to learn how to start a blog but you’ll want to take your time with this section. There are a few options under the Package Information area that you may or may not want to add.
You can skip the section below if you are not interested in the additional services being offered.
- Domain Privacy Protection
- You may want this… this service will hide your domain registration information, such as your name, address, and phone number, from the domain database. The database is like a big online phonebook for domain owners. This is probably something you may want to consider because companies will try to contact you for terrible web design services after finding your number in the database.
- Site Backup Pro
- You can skip this… Bluehost does complimentary backups. You’ll be able to do manual updates if needed. And after you learn how to blog like the pros, you’ll be able to find and configure free backup services to connect your WordPress blog to Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.
- Search Engine Jumpstart
- You can skip this… ranking a site nowadays is more hands-on than using automated services.
- SiteLock Security
- You can skip this… it scans your web host files daily for viruses, malware, etc. If you are going the WordPress route then you probably won’t need this. Remember to use strong passwords and to never upload random files to your web host and you’ll be okay.
- Comodo PositiveSSL Bundle
- You can look more into this… getting the https:// and green secure lock is nice to have. The SSL shows your site is more reliable and professional but its probably not necessary when getting started. You can always get one when you are ready for it.
If you must do a month-to-month plan, please know that you won’t get the free domain name. By signing up for a minimum of 12 months, you will receive a free domain name and the best price.
So after paying for your web hosting, you will have to wait for an email to log in to your new web host. When you are ready to create your blog, follow the steps below to buy hosting for your blog.
3. Connect Your Domain to Bluehost
IF YOU DID SIGN UP FOR A NEW BLUEHOST DOMAIN: Go to step 4… Bluehost will automatically connect your new domain to your web hosting.
IF YOU DID NOT SIGN UP FOR A NEW BLUEHOST DOMAIN: You’ll have to update the nameservers of your previously owned domain name to point to your new Bluehost web hosting. Usually, the nameservers are ns1.bluehost.com & ns2.bluehost.com.
Depending on where you bought your domain name from, you’ll need to get into their domain management system and update the nameservers to ns1.bluehost.com; ns2.bluehost.com (or whatever your personalized email has for nameservers)
You can check with your current domain registrar for detailed instructions.
4. Install WordPress on Bluehost
This is the important step of your initial question of how to start a blog. Luckily, this is one of the easiest steps thanks to Bluehost. After creating your account password, Bluehost will guide you through the blog installation process.
Using your Bluehost cPanel account to install WordPress.
- First, log into your Bluehost cPanel account.
- Find the Website section and click Install WordPress.
- Click the Install button.
- Choose the domain name to install it to. In the field next to the domain, you can enter a subfolder such as ‘blog’ or leave it blank if you want the website’s main page to be the blog (blank: will look like this http://yoursite.com instead of this http://yoursite.com/blog). I always leave it blank.
- If necessary, you can edit the email address, username, and password for the new WordPress installation. Click “advanced options” and you can change those settings.
- Read through the license and service agreements and check the boxes.
- And finally, click the Install Now button.
Congratulations, you now know how to start a blog. You now have a WordPress blog. Now that you have a blog, you’ll want to work on designing the look and creating quality content. Good luck!
If you sign up for Bluehost, but you are confused for any reason, please send me an email and I will help you out. I’m here to help you so don’t be afraid to send me an email.
Blogging Tips For New Lifestyle Bloggers
- You will receive your WordPress account email after you complete step 4. Save this information somewhere secure, it will have your WordPress login information.
- You can add new posts by clicking on +NEW on the mid-left side of the screen when you are logged in to quickly create a new post, new page, or add upload new media files.
- Quick shortcuts from some writing programs will work when you are typing in WordPress such as CTRL+B/Command+B for BOLD, CTRL+I/Command+I for Italics.
- If you have any questions after starting your blog, check out WordPress Beginners.
- Get a reliable security plugin, I recommend Wordfence Security or WP Security.
- Also get a reliable backup plugin, I recommend UpdraftPlus Backups.
- You can also check out the official WordPress support pages.
- Work on your mailing list sooner rather than later. The successful bloggers recommend using MailChimp or ConvertKit.
- Premium themes can reduce the number of plugins needed. WordPress has thousands of free themes. Many of these free themes have limited features so if you want something different, check out the premium themes on Theme Forest.
If you aren’t ready to start a blog but want to make money online, check out our article with a few creative ways to make money online. However, for those that want to continue blogging, check out a few of our articles that can get you started on your new blog.